At Houndsfield, we are committed to improving the health and fitness of all our children. From after the Easter holidays, we are introducing The Daily Mile.
On the 3rd, 4th and 5th April, we were lucky enough to have a Spurs coach come in and introduce our children to The Daily Mile and show them how to use the track. We were fortunate enough to get our Daily Mile track painted onto our playground from Enfield borough.
What is The Daily Mile?
The Daily Mile is easy to implement:
- Every child takes part in a run or jog for 15 minutes, at their own pace, during the school day
- It takes 15 minutes from classroom door to classroom door – there’s no kit needed, no resources, no track needed and no changing
- The Daily Mile is social and fun. It’s not a race and everyone can take part – they don’t have to run for a mile, just for 15 minutes. Teachers and school staff can join in too
Why do The Daily Mile?
Regular physical activity makes a huge difference to children’s physical and mental health and wellbeing, as well as helping children make better progress in the classroom. Some of the many proven benefits of participation in The Daily Mile include:
- Better focus and concentration in class
- Reductions in stress and anxiety – children who exercise are happier
- Increased fitness and energy levels, which help combat obesity